1.09.2012

Meet Annie

Perhaps you've already met.  If not, let me introduce you.

Annie is a little dog that showed up on our porch many years ago.  We (my former roomies and I) were having our annual Elf party in December - an evening when friends from far and wide gather to watch Elf and eat candy, candy canes, candy corn and syrup.  Some guests were leaving the party and they returned saying, "you might want to come out here."  Sitting on a pile of snow and ice was our little Annie, completely overgrown and scared to death.  We took her in, cleaned her up, and made unsuccessful attempts to find her home.

After that, she became our dog.  We named her Annie, after Orphan Annie.  She's a dainty 8 pound, white, curly-haired, poodle-like pet who loves nothing more than unending amounts of human affection.  And she's just about the quirkiest thing you've ever seen. 

For example:

1) Annie used to take my roommates socks and bury them in the house plants.  We would carry on and water the plants as normal, only to find a fossilized sock in there months later.

2)  She's always leaving food in our bed.  Always.  It's rare to walk in my room and not find two or three pieces of her dog food sitting on top of the comforter.  Annie usually tries to nuzzle it onto a wrinkle in the fabric.  She'll work on it for quite a while, seemingly making very little progress and then all of a sudden she decides her food is sufficiently buried and moves on to her main task of vying for human affection.  Keep in mind her food is no more buried than when she first placed it on the bed.

3) Annie is a very obnoxious combination of coward/bully.  She does not care for other dogs.  Can't stand bigger dogs.  Will tolerate dogs her size, but doesn't like them.  Basically she becomes a huge snob.  With bigger dogs, Annie will run up behind them and bark when their backs are turned.  But as soon as the bigger dog turns to face her, she'll run and hide behind someones skirt.  This makes my manly, marine husband crazy.  "No dog in my house is going to pick fights with some dog twice her size only to run away like a coward!"  Just kidding.  He never said that, but I can see him thinking it.  When Annie is around smaller dogs, she is no better.  My parents have a dog named Maggie that is about Annie's size.  I don't think I've ever seen this, but my parents tell me that every so often Maggie will just be standing around innocently and Annie will run up behind her and head butt her in the tush.  How rude!

Mr. T is very good with his little ward, but she still has her quirks.  I'm nervous that its reflective of my poor parenting skills, which is why I'm already praying now that none of our children will do any of the three aforementioned actions.     

No comments:

Post a Comment