1.11.2012

The Hunger Games

Mr. T and I have been reading The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins.  I ashamed to admit we like the books because a main plot line involves kids who run around and kill each other.  Sounds terrible, I know.  It is terrible, but they are total page turners.  It's the popular series written for young adults and I think the first movie is coming out in March.  What am I saying - I KNOW the first movie is coming out in March because I'm somewhat/entirely obsessed with them! 

Unfortunately, Mr. T and I set our budget right before we got hooked on the series, meaning we've had to wait and get the books from the library.  Needless to say, the person who has checked out the books before us does not pour through them as fast as we do.  It's been a tedious task to patiently endure the long days without knowing how the story unfolds.

That is until yesterday when the blessed librarian finally called to say the last book was in.  I felt like I had just won the Publishers Clearing House Sweepstakes.  My heart leapt, my fingers reached for the phone in anticipation, I placed it to my ear just in time to hear the sweet and long anticipated words, "I'm calling to tell you that the book you had on hold, 'Mockingjay' is in.  You have three days to pick it."  Three days!  Whatever!  I said, "We'll be right there!!!"  Breathlessly I called Mr. T to pass on the great and glorious news.

Everything was going so well, except I had to work in the evening.  Mr. T said that he needed to work on his Sunday School lesson all night.  So I figured it's no big deal, we can starting reading the book together later.  (We often read the books side by side.  Cheesy/romantic/awesome...I know.) 

When I came home from work, I saw Mr. T had gone to his office to work on his lesson.  He had taken Annie with him so she didn't have to stay in the house by herself all night.  Cute, huh.  He's a good dog dad.  So, I thought it would be polite to hold fast to our previous agreement and not begin the book.

Mr. T came home.
He asked if I started the book.
"No, I was waiting for you" I said.
"Really" he said somewhat shocked and confused.

And do you know why he was so shocked.  Because the stinker was hoping I would renege on the deal and start reading.  Because that's exactly what he had done.  All the way to Chapter 9!!!

So then we had a pretend fight over a book that was written for teenagers, which I'm going to read as soon as I finish this post. 

Starting now...

3 comments:

  1. When Eric and I were late jumping on the Lost bandwagon, we spent about a month catching up on 4 seasons at once. We watched so much Lost that I started having dreams about it. In one dream, Eric watched a few episodes without me and when I found out I stormed out the room yelling, "Thanks a lot! Thanks for NOTHING!" What can I say, my subconscious is unbelievably witty. We haven't read the Hunger Games yet, but I keep hearing people go on about them so I may have to join the queue at our library now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It'll take you MONTHS to get to chapter NINE! Does he KNOW that!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. J - I read the WHOLE book last night. From 6 - 2 am. Will be having a second cup of coffee soon.

    K - Those dreams can be tricky. Two nights ago I dreamt that Mr. T bought me a dress and some journals. I woke up with a heart full of love and went straight to the kitchen to make him breakfast.

    ReplyDelete