1.24.2012

He's So Proud of His Prize

See this sweet couple?

There were married last summer.

Mr. T and I decided to make the trek to Colorado to attend their wedding. 
It worked out well because the wedding happened to fall on the same weekend as a doctor's appointment I had in Colorado...
then the wedding...
then onto see some friends in Estes Park.

So, with the car loaded we began our 4.5 hour journey towards the mountains. 

Our first stop, see the doctor. 
Check. 
I think we made it in time, but I'm not sure.  I'm actually NEVER on time.  Many of you know this.
It's my one flaw. 

Post doctors office, we had some time to kill so we went to Target.  Ahhhh - if you live by a Target you don't know how lucky you are.  Living without a Target is like living in Majority World Africa with no running water, electricity, shelter, etc.  It's like being on a mission trip.  A mission trip in a land where WalMart is the only place to shop.  I plan to send out support letters and weekly prayer updates so you can support us as we "do without" for the sake of the gospel.  Just kidding.  It's a fine place to live and we have MORE than enough.  I still might send out support letters though.

Well, we thought we had a lot of time so we lingered in Target too long and forgot to take into account the Denver traffic.  By the time we left to go to the wedding, we realized that we were going to be LATE!  Being late to weddings and funerals is a big time no-no!  Even I know this.

We drove through Denver like CRAZY PEOPLE!  I'm serious.  I was nauseous from all the fast starts and sudden stops and my life flashed before my eyes numerous times and it was not pleasant and I was not having fun.  To add to the chaos, we were running out of gas, so we had to pull over to "refuel" and change clothes in the SMALLEST gas station bathroom I have ever seen.

Hop back in the car, drive super fast up, up, up the mountain, using every sense we have, excluding common sense, to help us get to our destination.  We found the road we needed, grimaced as we accidentally drove right past it, turned around and made a mad dash down the driveway to approach the wedding ceremony - five minutes late!

But ooh - what to our wondering eyes should appear, but a vacant/abandoned/ghost town of a wedding site.  Not a person to be seen.  So I pulled out my cute little invitation and said, "Huh, the wedding is on the twentieth, not the twelfth.  We're not five minutes late.  We're eight days early." 

And that's the exact moment Mr. T realized what a prize he had married.  Boy was he proud of his choice.  A lovely girl who loves the Lord and cares for people, but lo and behold - she can't read!

"I'm sorry I can't read good," I said sheepishly.

"That's okay honey.  Let's go get something to eat."

I was hungry for Italian and saw a little Italian Mom and Pop restaurant.

"Ohhh, that looks good.  Peen-OOOH-CHEE-ohs," I said.

"Pinocchio's," Mr. T replied, (as in the little wooden puppet with the nose that grows).

It was not a good reading day for me.

5 comments:

  1. I love this, Patty. That kind of stuff happens to me all the time! And it appears that we are both blessed with hubbies who are gracious to us about our ONE flaw. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should start a ONE Flaw Club. Of course, it would never start on time.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for a good laugh. You're not the only one. Yes, you are a prize. I will always remember you running out onto the football field, wet hair, carrying your drum and late for marching band-EVERYDAY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did the exact same thing! Only it was my former roommate's wedding and we didn't have to drive to Colorado...just to the Catholic church across town. It was December thirtieth, not thirteenth. And Chris took me out for dinner too. It was during our dating years and the story made it into our wedding sermon (don't forget to dine). I'm glad your Mr. Tidyman was as gracious as my Mr. Riddle!

    ReplyDelete