1.10.2012

Like I Said

Annie is quirky.

Jordanne called last night from Kansas City to let me know that she was putting away her Christmas decorations and found a surprise.  Inside one of the stockings was an old, brown, nasty sock that had come directly from its grave, buried deep in the houseplant. (Refer to yesterday's post.)
Jordanne blames me for this, but I have no recollection of it. 

Kind of like that time when my brother and I were kids and my mom discovered that someone had written on the couch with a pen.  My brother instantly denied it and I racked my brain trying to remember if I had done it or not.  Since my brother was so adamant that he didn't do it, I naturally assumed that I must have and confessed that fact to my mother.  I was grounded for a week while my brother carried on with his carefree life of playing with his friends, playing video games, watching TV and what have you.

He confessed later on that he was actually guilty and boy was my mom mad!  He was grounded for two weeks for lying and then he proceeded to mouth off to my sweet, loving, nurturing mother (something I would NEVER do!) and ended up being grounded for a whole month.  It was obvious that he was tempted to mouth off again and my mother stopped him and said, "you want to make TWO months!"  That shut both of us up.

For you see, we did not get grounded back then the way kids get grounded today.  We were grounded to our rooms!  With NO TV!  NO PHONE CALLS!  NO NOTHING!  We could read, listen to the radio (IF we were lucky), go to the bathroom and come out to eat meals.  Kids today don't know anything about being grounded.  They think being grounded means they are limited to 10 of their favorite video games instead of having access to all 50 of them.  Why, when I was a kid we had to walk 5 miles to school, in the rain and the snow, uphill both ways...

Anyways...what was I saying?

Oh yea - so Jordanne blamed me for putting the nasty sock in the stocking and I don't remember doing it, which means that Annie probably did it (even though it was hanging on the mantel at the time and that would have been quite miraculous), but I'm still sticking to my story.  I'm innocent. 

Come to think of it, we did have a girl from Germany living with us at the time.  Maybe she did it. 
Either way, I'm innocent!  Innocent I tell you!

1 comment: