2.08.2012

Mr. T Tidbits

I've been collecting these little tidbits to share with you.

Lunch with Keith
We had lunch the other day with Keith, a lovely gentleman who resides more on the "vintage" side of life.  I'm soft spoken, meaning he can't hear a darn thing I'm saying.  Even Jeff has to talk really loud, which is something I hate to do, especially in public places like restaurants.  I don't want people hearing what I'm saying.  Sometime during the conversation, Mr. T was talking about this big Navy ship thing we toured on our honeymoon.  A guy from the table behind us pipes up and shouts out, "they have one of those down in Texas too!"  And our loud conversation became even louder to include strangers from around the restaurant.  I love small town life.

Anyway, back to Keith.  His wife passed away last year.  Had she lived, they would have celebrated their 60th Anniversary.  "You get pretty used to having a person around after 60 years," Keith says. 

I can't imagine.

He told us that, in her last days, his wife said she regretted not teaching him to cook so that he could take care of himself after she's gone.  I thought good and hard about that and suggested to Mr. T the other day that it's important to me that he's not in the same boat sometime down the line.  We should be proactive, meaning he should start cooking at least one meal a week.  He did not agree.

His reply - "If you want me to start cooking, that's fine, but I've been living on my own for the last 20 years, eating out of cans and doing just fine."  Drat!  I thought for sure I could get him with that one.  It's a selfish suggestion, but one that's masked with undertones of love and care.  I didn't think he would see through it so fast!

Monopoly Deal
We played a couple of days ago.  I won 5 games in a row (maybe 4)!!!!  Mr. T commented on how I was whistling and singing and floating on cloud nine, which is a sharp contrast to the ugliness that appears when I lose a game.  I do believe I am improving my attitude.  I lost about 3 games the following day and managed to not throw a temper tantrum.  I reigned in my emotions and calmly/repeatedly reminded Mr. T that "it's pretty easy to win when you draw ALL the good cards." 

Steel Magnolias
We watched it the other day.  Probably the one and only time we'll ever watch it together.  It's my favorite movie.  Steel Magnolias has it all - laughter, tears, quotable lines and everything in between.  I kept nudging Mr. T to let him know that a funny line was coming up.  I nudged him a lot because there are a lot of funny lines.  I noticed he was not laughing as often or as loud as I was.  To be honest, he was bored.  And I guess that's okay because I don't think it's a good idea for my manly man's favorite movie to be Steel Magnolias. 

He commented the following day that, "I was bored for the first 90% of it, until you started crying like that after Julia Roberts died.  I've never seen you cry that hard."  Then, "the movie was all talk.  Just a bunch of women sitting around a beauty shop talking.  There weren't even any action parts."  I told him that there was that one part where Drum used a bow and arrow to shot the birds out of the tree.  Plus, you don't need action when you have great lines like, "Looks like two pigs fightin' under a blanket" and "Annelle, cool down.  I'm gonna have to turn the hose on you."

He continued by saying, "It doesn't even have a plot.  What's the plot?  Who's the main character?  Who's the heroine?  What's the conflict?"  To which I replied, "Who is the hero of Gladiator?" (Mr. T's favorite movie, as of late.) 

Mr. T - "Uh, the Gladiator."
Me - "Oh.  Well, what's the conflict?"
Mr. T - "He's gotta fight lions and people."
Me - "Well, Shelby has to fight diabetes in Steel Magnolias!"

BAM!  End of conversation.

Not because I won. 

Just because I think he gave up.

Either way, I still love Steel Magnolias.

2 comments:

  1. Amen to the movies. Although, Travis does quote SM and Sweet Home Alabama now...only because he's heard me quote them 100 times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Gladiator discussion is cracking me up!

    ReplyDelete