2.22.2012

Lessons Learned From Darchelle Webster

I have so many stories about my previous roommate, Darci.  I think God brought us together as roommates because he has a sense of humor and he knew it would be good for a laugh.

Oh, where to begin...

Well, there was that one time we snuck into the pool at our apartment after hours.  It's surrounded by this iron rod fence and we had to use a nearby trashcan to scale it, all the while praying with intensity that we wouldn't impale ourselves in the process.  We eventually made it over.  I can't remember why we decided to sneak into the pool in the first place.  Maybe we had just returned from a late night run (back when we used to exercise) and we needed to cool down, or maybe we were hyped up on sugar, or maybe we were just ding-bats!  Either way, a swimmin' we went.  That is until the Pool Policeman came over and shined a flashlight in our eyes.

Pool Policeman - "Swimming hours are over ladies."
Darci (in her most airhead voice) - "Oh, we didn't realize the pool was closed..."
Me (thinking) - "DARCI, are you crazy!  Of course we realized it!  That's why we had to scale the fence, REMEMBER!"

Lesson Learned:  Iron rod fences are a lot harder to scale when you're drenched in wet clothes.

Then there was that one time we tried to laminate the pancake.  We both worked at the same church and there was a laminator there.  I don't even know why the thought crossed our minds.  It's so completely random.  Nevertheless, we went downstairs to laminate it and I think it would have worked except that our pancake was filled with fruit, which tends to make it smear more.  In the midst of struggling with our little experiment, the Preschool supervisor, Miss Patty, came in.  I thought, "Oh boy, we're gonna get it now!"  But she was totally cool about it!  She said, "Girls, if you're gonna laminate a pancake, you need to do it THIS way."  She knows a lot about the laminator machine.  (Sometime I'll write a tutorial on how to laminate pancakes.)  Anyway, it ended up being one LONG mess that looked like laminated vomit.  We hung it on this guy named Jamie's door.  We were always giving Jamie cool stuff like that.

Lesson Learned:  If you're going to laminate a pancake, leave the fruit OUT! 

And I can't forget that one time she tried to make homemade soup with our friend Alex.  I was S.T.A.R.V.I.N.G and it was taking F.O.R.E.V.E.R!  Seriously!  My belly was swollen and flies were buzzing around my head.  I was SO hungry.  So they were finally on the last step of blending it up in the blender, but they didn't get the lid on tight so tomato soup went all over the kitchen.  Walls, counters, floor, ceiling, everywhere.  "Forget this!" I thought and went out to get a hamburger.

Lesson Learned:  Never make homemade tomato soup.

Looking back, I think about how lots of 25 year olds were married with kids and had mortgages and stuff.  Not us.  I'm not sure what we were reliving, but it was something awesome.  And I wouldn't change a thing!

Darci, Calvin (Travis' brother), Me, Travis (Darci's husband), Kylee (Alex's sister)
We dressed up as Hunters and Bears for Halloween and went swing dancing. 
It was super hot in all those clothes, but we won the competition so it was worth it.


2 comments:

  1. for the record, don't put more than 1 c. of HOT liquid in the blender and turn it on. someone thought it'd be no big deal to put it all in the blender. wrong-o. =) great story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That same someone also thought I'd be a good idea to microwave a hard boiled egg - with the shell still on!

    ReplyDelete