2.03.2012

The "Not So Sweet" Sugar Fast

My sugar fast...it's going okay.
That is, if you define "okay" as eating a cinnamon roll and drinking a whole coke.
But I have excuses for both.
Yesterday, I was invited to eat lunch at St. Pat's, our town's Catholic school.
They were serving cinnamon rolls and chili.
I really wanted to trade my cinnamon roll for my friend's celery sticks, but she wasn't havin' it. 
She selfishly wanted her celery sticks all to herself, leaving me with a giant cinnamon roll that I had to eat because I didn't want to appear ungrateful.
I HAD to!

Also, I got this ebook called, "I Quit Sugar" by Sarah Wilson.  It's overpriced, but the info is good.  She talks about quitting sugar, basically for good, and talks you through how to do that.  She doesn't suggest quitting cold turkey, but backing off sugar during the first week.  So that's what I'm doing...simply backing off.  Also, before I made this decision to quit sugar, I really wanted a cinnamon roll and a coke, but I didn't have a chance to consume the beloved treats before "No Sugar Launch Day".  The thought of both were constantly on my mind.  I didn't have any other choice but to eat/drink the desired items and now that I have, I can move on. 

Except, I wouldn't mind eating one more Reese's Peanut Butter cup.
And some lovely person left me a GIANT chocolate and peanut butter donut on my desk this morning and I would be rude to not eat any of it.
Plus, Sarah Wilson says that after you're off sugar for a while, you loose the taste for it and sugary things that tasted good before no longer taste good and I want to eat all the sugar things NOW while they still taste yummy.

All this is to say, I'm pretty sure I'm addicted to sugar and it's a good thing I'm doing this 8 week experiment to see if I can break its hold over my life.

But before that, I'm going to eat some of this donut.
Well, probably all of it.

2 comments:

  1. Ha. This sounds all too familiar! But my rationalization usually centers around Dr. Pepper consumption. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm doing this for Lent (started a week early) and so far--it still sucks. I still want sugar all the time. But I have hope that it will get better. --from Colleen, and old friend of Mr. T's! met you at your wedding!

    ReplyDelete