7.26.2012

If You Believe They Put a Man on the Moon

Last weekend I made the journey to Oklahoma where my sister, Mom and Aunt joined together for "Sister Shopping Weekend!"  We shopped on Saturday from 9:30 am to 9:30 pm.  That's 12 hours folks!  I came home, took a shower and went to bed.  My "dogs started barkin'" around 1:17 in the afternoon.  And if you know what that phrase means, you're my kind of people.
Despite a lot of walking in sub-par sandals, we had a great time!  I love hanging out with my funny, sweet, generous family.  They are lovely in every way.

We spent quite a bit of time looking for baby stuff.  It's nice to get it while the gettin's good.  We don't have a lot of stores where I live and I think paying shipping is a huge bummer.

Anyway, whilst we were looking at baby stuff we came across one of the great mysteries in life, and it is this:

WHY do they make one thing that SWINGS your baby and one things that BOUNCES your baby?
HOW the heck are you supposed to know which one your baby will prefer?
And IF they are smart enough to send a man to the moon and figure out a way for him to walk around up there, you'd think they could figure out how to make a thing that BOTH swings AND bounces your baby so you only have to buy/use/store ONE THING!!!

Of course they know a way to combine them...
There has GOT to be a way...
But that way doesn't make them as much money...
So they keep it a big secret and make new Moms like me either choose one and possibly waste money on making the wrong choice OR buy two things.

Ugh!

It doesn't really matter because Mr. T and I plan to have one of those babies that coos sweetly all the time and then drifts into peacefully to sleep.  We put in a request to for a mature and respectful baby, but you know how those things go.  Sometimes the paperwork gets lost in the shuffle.  We'll just have to be prepared for whatever comes our way. 

And if there is something in existence that will help comfort our baby's cries, chances are we will buy it and use it and store it, just like millions of parents who have gone before. 

5 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog....I seriously crack up with every post. Since I'm a seasoned veteran in everything baby (insert huge amounts of sarcasm here), I thought I'd chime in. :) First of all, I think YOU should invent something that does both. Since you have lots of time on your hands and all. The reality is this: there is no way to know what to buy. The end.

    Just kidding. But, in all seriousness, you just never know. I was the same way and didn't want to have to store unnecessary stuff. So, with #1 I borrowed a swing from Kristie and used it very little. With #2, he wouldn't have sat in a swing if you paid him a million bucks. With #3, she loved to swing and I didn't have one to borrow, so I picked up this little cutie: http://www.fisher-price.com/en_US/brands/babygear/products/63205
    I loved it because it isn't huge and is easy to store. We have also used a Bumbo and an Exersaucer regularly through the course of 3 kids.

    Bottom line: Borrow whatever you can when it comes to the big stuff to see if you're really going to need it. And, hang in there....there are only about 7 million more questions you have coming your way on this journey. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could design one for you...for a price ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm your kind of people, hurrah! Peter (and subsequently, me) say that often. I think I say it more than I used to these days. :)

    Definitely with you on the swing thing. Reilly was offering her swing to me to borrow, but now she'll be having a little one again in January, so I best not. I also put in a request for a softly crying baby. One in a bajillion people get one, so there's a chance, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, I appreciate not having to prove that I'm not a robot when posting on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Back in the dark ages when I had #1 we didn't have a bunch of fancy gadgets and just held our babies and laid them in empty dresser drawers to sleep, but by #4 we really appreciated the new found gadgets and gizmos that kept us from having to hold the baby ALL THE TIME! But seriously all four of mine loved the bouncy seat that vibrated and we used our swing very little. I also think the boppy pillow and exersaucer are cannot live with out it item. And the swaddle blanket, you have to get the swaddle blanket!

    ReplyDelete