7.19.2012

Cultural Observations

Where I live...

It's cattle country.
And farm country.
And people visit at length about the amount of rain we've had or didn't have.

People also talk a lot about football, which they seem to know a lot about.

People also visit at length about politics.
If you're not a Republican, you're not allowed to attend public schools, seek medical attention or open a checking account.  So you better vote Republican if you know what's good for you.

In fact, if anyone upsets you, offends you, is rude, or cuts you off in traffic, you can pretty much bet they are "one of those Democrats" and "they voted for Obama"...

...who is, of course, the ONE person responsible for ruining this entire country.

And when I travel to the big city and see people with bumper stickers on their cars that are PRO Obama, I think "My goodness, I haven't seen anything like that in over a YEAR!"

(That's all exageration, of course.  It's not really like that...for the most part.  That last line about bumper stickers is pretty true.)

So here I am.
Learning more all the time on things related to farming, football and politics! 

3 comments:

  1. Because everybody knows - you can't be a Christian AND a democrat. ;)

    (For those of you who don't know me as well as Patty does, that's sarcasm. I don't actually think that. But I'm not a democrat. Or a republican. I am without political party. But not without political opinion. :) )

    Michelle (not Brett)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You forgot one, Patty--you can't VOTE if you're not a Republican (at least not in Kansas--Republican primaries here are closed). All of our races are basically decided at the primary stage--we will literally have five Republicans running for sheriff and no Democrats. I honestly could care less what political party my sheriff is, as long as he is a good law enforcement officer. But we are in a battle to keep at least a few moderate Republicans in our State Senate--so on my 40th birthday, after 22 years of being a proud, Unaffiliated voter, I changed my registration to Republican so I can vote in the primary in two weeks, and not be left out again. I even have a Republican candidate's sign in my yard (I've never had a political sign of any kind in my yard before, nor a bumper sticker--although I did wear a Obama/Biden T-shirt on Inauguration Day 2009). If only there was a way to make my voter registration card say "Moderate" beside the "Republican." In this state, it makes all the difference in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So it sounds like you live in Buhler, KS! :)

    ReplyDelete