9.19.2011

Sign Me Up

Surely there is a blog or something out there that makes fun of all the random signs and billboards along the highway.  If there isn't, there should be. 


A prime candidate for such a blog would be the stretch of highway between Salina and Wakeeney on I-70.


This is a route I've driven many times, as my true love, Mr. T, and I dated long distance and drove it every other weekend for the better part of a year.  Not a drive I miss.


Except for the EXCEPTIONALLY entertaining billboards along the way.  As I was driving that stretch of highway yesterday, I was reminded of these billboard treasures...


ONE:
          World's Largest Czech Egg
          Wilson, KS


Now, if I'm from rinky-dink Wilson, KS, I might think, "What would be something great we could advertise that would draw people from far and wide to visit our little town?  Oh, I know - let's bring the World's Largest Czech Egg here!!!"  Actually, I might not think that.  Why?  Because, unless there's something about the Czech population in Wilson, KS that I'm unaware of, it's totally random!  I guess I can be pretty random sometimes, but that idea is pretty creative and I'm rarely random AND creative at the same time.  Someone in Wilson, KS is doing a fine job of thinking outside the box.  


TWO:
          Eat.
          Get Gas.
          Sleep.
          Wakeeney, KS


Followed by:
          It's Affordable!
          Wakeeney, KS


Hummm...I'm not sure what they are feeding you in Wakeeney, but apparently it's pretty hard on the digestive tract.  No worries, though...you can just sleep it off.


Once again, not the advertisement I would have voted for, but I guess it worked.  Mr. T and I did spend a night in Wakeeney, KS after all.  However, we didn't spend much time with any of their three attractions (especially the 2nd one).  All in all, I must say that it was, in fact, very affordable.


THREE:
          YARNS
          2nd Friendliest Yarn Store in the Universe!
          Salina, KS


Wow!  This is the mother of all random billboards.  I love everything about their tag line.  If I'm looking for a yarn store, I want one that is FRIENDLY.  It's too bad they are only the 2nd friendliest.  However, they are the 2nd friendliest in the whole UNIVERSE, and that's saying something.  Apart from this planet, there are a lot of Yarn Stores in the Universe and to be 2nd friendliest is quite the accomplishment.


I wonder who is the 1st friendliest?  How do you measure such a thing?  What if next year, the store in Salina ups their game and works to be THE friendliest.  Do they have to change their sign?  I would.  If I owned THE friendliest Yarn Store in the UNIVERSE, I would definitely spend the money to advertise it. 


So, next time you are driving I-70, please take a few moments to check out these fine attractions.  I wouldn't be surprise if Mr. T and I plan our whole vacation around them next year!

1 comment:

  1. being funny is a true gift and you have it my friend. You should write down everything you think! I would read it!

    ReplyDelete