12.07.2011

Biscuit Pudding

Last night I decided to make biscuits to use up some leftover buttermilk I had.

A reliable source told me that you can "cut in" the butter using your food processor. 

So I decided to make a double recipe and proceeded to prep all the ingredients...including SIX sticks of butter.  We only had 5.  Mr. T looked at all that butter sitting on top of that little bit of flour and said, "I think 5 is plenty."  And he was right.  My heart hurts just thinking about eating one of those biscuits.

While I was measuring the flour and such, Mr. T was telling me about the time his money was tight and he only had flour and water to eat.  I've heard this story before, but this time he announced, "There's something I COULD have made!  Hard tack!  Like what they ate in the Civil War.  Of course, you can mix flour and water and let it sit for a long time...like a week...and it will eventually rise and turn into bread...." and on he went until it was time to mix the biscuit ingredients in the food processor.  

I think when you add the butter, you're supposed to cut it into pieces first.  We didn't do that.  We added whole sticks...which didn't work...so we had to "process" the biscuits a lot...until it looked more like pudding than like biscuit batter.

"I don't think this is gonna work" is the only thing I was thinking/feeling/saying repeatedly.

However, we had come this far, so I thought I might as well try to bake them.  I loaded a pan with blobs of biscuit pudding, put them in the oven and crossed my fingers.

After about 20 minutes and periodic checking, I was starting to think something was really wrong because they weren't setting up.  I put my thinking cap on, went over many possible diagnosis for the problem, and concluded that - ah - you have to turn the oven ON before they will cook right.  And that's what I did...

They actually aren't too bad.  I cut up some strawberries, mixed sugar in them and had a nice strawberry shortcake.

Let me know if you want the recipe.  

3 comments:

  1. You should start a food blog. I would read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I'm going to try this for my room to take up some of that wall space. Yes?
    http://roadkillrescue.net/2011/09/turquoise-toilet-paper-art/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Excellent use of toilet paper "wrolls"!

    ReplyDelete