3.03.2013

Awkward

The other day Mr. T and I went out to eat while some friends watched Tidytot.  We returned from our date and were invited by the couple to stay for dessert, coffee and visiting.  Three things that are right up our alley.  

Since we were sticking around, I needed to feed Tidytot there.  I wasn't planning on feeding her until we got home, so I didn't bother to wear appropriate nursing clothes.  What I did wear took a fair amount of "fiddling with".  

I remained in the basement with the wife of said couple, wrestled with my clothes and squirming baby while trying to remain covered by a blanket that was a little too small to achieve the maximum coverage desired.  Finally, we got everything squared away.  Not too far into the process, their 8 year old daughter entered the room and launched us into the following awkward moment:

Daughter:  "What are you doing?"

Me (without thinking):  "I'm feeding the baby."

Daughter (looking very confused):  "You are???"

Me (suddenly aware that they have yet to explain breastfeeding and feeling much MORE self-conscious than normal at nursing with people around, something I have yet to get used to):  "Oh...um....well....."

Mom (suddenly aware that she has come upon a "parenting moment"):  "Oh...um....well....."

Daughter:  "But I don't see any bottles."

Mom:  "Well, she's feeding her milk.  You know....um....milk....er....um....breast....um...."

Daughter (putting a stop to the explanation):  "Wait!  I know!"
She runs upstairs, grabs a book that helps explain such issues, comes down and points to a picture of a cartoon woman nursing her baby, uncovered.

Daughter:  "You're doing THIS!"

Me (growing in embarrassment at the sight of the cartoon woman):  "Yes."

Daughter, satisfied with explanation, runs upstairs.

Mom and I both look at each other:  "Thank goodness for that book!"

They say a picture is worth a thousand words.  
In my opinion, one awkward picture is better than a thousand awkward words any day!

2 comments:

  1. I'm just now catching up on your blog. That story is hilarious! Nursing with people around is always interesting...and this story is fabulous! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a former nursing mom (and LLL Leader, believe it or not!), I know it feels embarassing and awkward, but there is also this: you just made nursing a little bit more normal in that little girl's world, and the odds that she will try it when she grows up and has her own children just got a little bit better. Hopefully, when Sage is a mother, nursing will be so ordinary and unremarkable that nobody will have to feel uncomfortable about it anymore. And maybe, the knowledge that used to be passed around organically won't have to be taught anymore, and LLL and nursing how-to books will be things of the past!

    ReplyDelete