8.01.2012

And They Call The Thing A Rodeo

It's the ropes and the reins
And the joy and the pain
And they call the thing a rodeo


These are the lyrics to the popular Garth Brooks song that Mr. T and I were singing this weekend as we walked down to our County Fair to attend the rodeo. 

We kind of got a late start.

Plus, we had to stop by the Lion's Club booth to try our hand at a couple rounds of BINGO, which proved financially unfruitful.

And then I had to get a snow cone...
And some popcorn.

So by the time we made it to the rodeo, we were about 30 minutes late.  We walked up the middle of the Grandstands and turned left in search of some friends we'd seen just moments earlier.  Please note that walking in front of crowds is not my favorite thing. 

Plus, the Grandstands were packed.  There's not a lot to do here and when the rodeo's in town, everyone in the whole county is there!  So it was in front of the whole county that we marched.

Unbeknownst to me, the Rodeo Clown I waved at when we walked in had a microphone and a sense of humor and a signed contract committing him to entertain the crowds throughout the evening.  Again, I did not know this.  Otherwise, I would not have waved at his painted face.

It probably didn't matter.  The following would have happened regardless:

Clown speaking into his mic - "You realize the rodeo started half an hour ago!"
Mr. T and I become aware that he was talking about US!
Crowd laughs.

Clown - "Y'all have somewhere else to be?  Oh, I see what's going on - you've been BUSY!"
(in reference to my obviously growing belly)
Crowd laughs really hard.
Mr. T beams proudly.
My face turns beet red.  I look at my feet and keep walking.
All prior plans to find our friends are abandoned.
Just find a seat, FAST!

Clown - "So I guess that makes you a FERTILE TURTLE!"
(in reference to the fact that I'm preggo and late)
Crowd laughs the most.
Mr. T and I SIT DOWN.
I bury my head in the bag of popcorn.

Then, thank goodness, it was over.

Now, being pregnant is like being a walking testimony the world that sometime in the past, you in fact, "did it".  Okay, I can handle that because it usually goes without saying. 

That is, until a Rodeo Clown announces in front of the whole county that you've BEEN BUSY! 
Great...just great! 
Someone should remind him of the whole "goes WITHOUT saying" part.

Lots of people had a good laugh about it the next day when I went to work.

Mr. T's been calling me "Fertile Turtle" every day since.
I think it's probably a compliment.

4 comments:

  1. Love this!!! Guess where the family and I are headed tomorrow? The Abilene rodeo! We will try our best to be on time. Wouldn't want the clowns picking on us! Erika

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny! James laughed at me b/c I was kind of embarassed when we left after our wedding reception--b/c EVERYONE knew what we were going to be doing! Which is totally illogical b/c I never think that at anyone else's wedding, but when it's you you're talking about, well...The funniest part of your rodeo story to me is that you BARELY look pregnant yet so it must have been a very sharp-eyed rodeo clown--or else he knew you.

    ReplyDelete