11.10.2011

Foreign Accent Syndrome

Today in the news is a woman who claims that even though she was born in Kansas, she has had an English accent her entire life.  "I'm not faking it!" she says as if she just stepped out of a Jane Austin novel. 

Who am I to judge, but it seems that according to Wikipedia, she might be faking it.  Foreign Accent Syndrome is often caused by a stroke or head trauma and she has had her English accent since her birth in the Midwest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_accent_syndrome

Howevs, I do think I have this syndrome.
My former roomie, Melissa, and I spoke in an English accent for the better part of the day earlier this week.
My other former roomie, Jordanne, acted like she was not amused or impressed.  I dare to say she was, in fact, both.

Furthermore, on occasion it has just so happens that someone (not always me) suggests we speak in a foreign accent for the entire day.  On just such an occasion, I almost always vote for Queen Elizabeth Accent Day.  Sometimes Pakistani Accent Day, but usually Queen Elizabeth.

And, you know how people have good hair days.  I have good English accent days. 

It's only logical to conclude that I have Foreign Accent Syndrome.

I'm calling the doctor. 
I think he will prescribe a dose of Henry Higgins.
Just you wait! 

1 comment:

  1. You MOST CERTAINLY have the syndrome. No doubt about it.

    ReplyDelete